Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Book Review: "Happiness at Work" by Dr. Srikumar S. Rao



I bought this book during the Borders going out of business sale. I had no idea about this book at the time when I bought it. I just thought it may help me be more satisfied with the job that I was working at the time. I didn't start reading the book until a few weeks ago. I have to say that this was one of the best purchases I've ever made! This book isn't just for people looking for happiness in their careers and work environments. The exercises and insights given in this book will translate and help anyone achieve personal happiness in their life in general. The book is a quick and simple read using lots of good real-life examples, however the actual exercises that the reader is to put into practice throughout the book can sometimes be very difficult and challenging to undertake. This book gives a different perspective to changing our outlooks on life. Just a few of Dr. Rao's themes examine the ideas of not just looking at a situation as being good or bad, not being "me-centered" in our lives, finding satisfaction in helping others, not using a typical "if-then" philosophy on being happy if something were to happen, and not holding ourselves too rigid to achieving our goals by finding value in the process rather than concentrating on the outcome of the goal we achieve. It truly is a great book and a good alternative to other self-help methods including the popular "name it and claim it" strategy. I highly recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment