Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Year, New Attitude.

Happy New Year! For some crazy reason, I'm feeling very positive and optimistic about 2013! I don't know why, but I feel like good things are coming. Instead of doing resolutions this year, I plan to make new short-term and long-term goals for myself, and keep a positive attitude. One goal on the list is that I definitely need to live a healthier lifestyle, both physically and mentally and I plan to make steps to achieve that. I'm turning the big 3-0 this year and I'll admit that there a lot of things that I always planned to have done by this age that haven't happened yet. It's caused me to be somewhat stagnant rather than strive to progress myself further. There are so many things that happen in our lives that aren't in our control. Why dwell on those things and let them steal your joy, right? That's why I have the goal to maintain a positive attitude, no matter how things turn out in "Twenty Thirteen". I also plan to set clear, achievable, yet challenging goals to further myself along. Truth be told, I've really gotten out of the habit of setting goals for myself, which is sad. We have to keep pushing ourselves further. Success doesn't happen overnight. It takes time, planning, work, perseverance  and a positive outlook. The business of goal-setting is a tricky one. Sometimes when we set goals for ourselves, and they don't work out as we had hoped, it can lead us to beat ourselves up (which I have done a lot of...), but no more! I'm moving on and I feel really good about it. If plan A didn't work as you had hoped, then make a plan B, C, etc. There's nothing wrong with that. And never give up on your dream, no matter how distant it may seem or how big it may be. In the words of the always-colorful Jesse Jackson, "keep hope alive!"

I think that part of what has caused this sudden optimism in me is the fact that I have been doing a 30 before 30 list. It's been refreshing to plan, schedule, and do things that I've always wanted to do but never tried. I started my list rather late in the game so I'm giving myself til the end of 2013 to complete the list, which also helps keep the stress down of not making it by my actual birthday (which is in a couple of months).

Setting small goals is a good way to work your way up to the bigger goals, and also helps build up your confidence towards achieving those bigger goals as well. Remember, don't dwell on how things turned out in the past, or how things are at the present moment. Instead, think about where you're going and where you hope to be in the future. Imagine yourself there at the finish line, rather than focus on where you are now. Also, NO PITY PARTIES! Like my favorite quote from the movie, "Beasts of the Southern Wild", remember "nobody likes a pity-party-having-ass woman!" And it's true! People don't! On that note, I leave you with well wishes, hopes, and dreams for 2013! Strive to be the best person that you can be, for yourself and no one else! It's about you and this is your life. We only get one shot at this, so make it count!

2 comments:

  1. Great post girl! I plan on making a Vision Board to help me for this year. Hopefully it will help motivate me with my goals for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks chica! a vision board is an awesome idea! that's a great way to stay motivated and keep your eye on the prize. i like it!

      Delete